1-800 WE SERVE

Home Page
Home Tips
Appliances
Cleaning
DIY Books
Electrical
Furniture
Lawn Care
Mechanical
Moving
Pests
Plumbing
Safety
Seasonal
Structure
Disaster
Warranty

Find An Expert
Calculators
The Store
Freebies
Virtual Home Tour

All Living Areas

  • To prevent asthma attacks, eliminate sources of mold, dust, and insects, such as cockroaches. If you have a pet, keep it off of furniture and its bedding clean.
  • If you smoke, avoid smoking in the house, and around children.
  • Make sure furnaces, fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, space heaters, and gas appliances are vented properly and inspected annually.
  • Use safety gates to block stairways (and other danger areas), safety plugs to cover electrical outlets, and safety latches for drawers and cabinets.
  • Keep children - and the furniture they climb on - away from windows.
  • Install window guards (on windows that are not fire emergency exits).
  • To prevent falls, keep hallways and stairways well lit and use non-slip backing for area rugs.
  • Keep cleaning solutions, pesticides, and other potentially dangerous substances in their original, labeled containers, and out of the reach of children.
  • Test homes built before 1978 for lead paint. Ask your doctor or health department if your child should be tested for lead.
  • If you have guns or rifles in your home, store the firearms and ammunition in separate containers and lock them out of the reach of children.
  • Learn First aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
  • Keep an updated list of emergency telephone numbers, including your local poison control center, physician and hospital emergency room, next to every phone in your home.
  • Have your home tested for radon. If levels are above EPA's recommended level, call 1-800-557-2366 to find out about ways to reduce the levels.
  • Make sure your family knows what to do during a natural disaster. In an earthquake, drop to the floor and get under something sturdy for cover; during a tornado, take shelter in a basement or an interior room without windows; and during a hurricane stay away from window. Have handy supplies of food, flashlights, and water.
  • Use a metal fireplace screen. Have the chimney checked and cleaned regularly.
  • Put lighters and matches where small children won't find them. Use special outlet covers to keep children's fingers out.
  • Allow air space around the TV and stereo to prevent overheating. If the TV doesn't work right, it can be a fire danger. Have it checked out.
  • Check for outlets that have loose fitting plugs, which can overheat and lead to fire. Replace any missing or broken wall plates. Make sure there are safety covers on all unused outlets that are accessible to children.
  • Make sure electrical cords are in good conditions - not frayed or cracked. Make sure they are placed out of traffic areas. Cords should never be nailed or stapled to the wall, baseboard or to another object. Do not place cords under carpets or rugs or rest any furniture on them.
  • Check to see that extension cords are not overloaded. Additionally, they should only be used on a temporary basis; they are not intended as permanent household wiring. Make sure extension cords have safety closures to help prevent young children from shock hazards and mouth burn injuries.
  • Make sure your plugs fit you outlets. Never remove the ground pin (the third prong) to make a three-prong fit a two-conductor outlet; this could lead to an electrical shock. NEVER FORCE A PLUG INTO AN OUTLET IF IT DOESNT'T FIT. Plugs should fit securely into outlets. Avoid overloading outlets with too many appliances.
  • Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) can help prevent electrocution. They should be used in any area where water and electricity may come into contact. When a GFCI senses current leakage in an electrical circuit, it assumes a ground fault has occurred. It then interrupts power fast enough to help prevent serious injury from electrical shock. Test GFCIs regularly according to the manufacturer's instructions to make sure they are working properly.
  • Check the wattage of all light bulbs in light fixtures to make sure they are the correct wattage for the size of the fixture. Replace bulbs that have higher wattage than recommended, if you don't know the correct wattage, check with the manufacturer of the fixture. Make sure bulbs are screwed in securely; loose bulbs may overheat.
  • Circuit Breakers and fuses should be the correct size current rating for their circuit. If you do not know the correct size, have an electrician identify and label the size to be used. Always replace a fuse with the same size fuse.
  • Don't place plugged in appliances where they might fall in contact with water. If a plugged-in appliance falls into water. NEVER reach in to pull it out - even if it's turned off. First turn off the power source at the panel board and then unplug the appliance. If you have an appliance that has gotten wet, don't use it until it has been checked by a qualified repairperson.
  • Check to see that your computer and entertainment equipment are in good condition and working properly; look for cracks or damage in wiring, plugs, and connectors. Use a surge protector bearing the seal of a nationally recognized certification agency.
  • Space Heaters are meant to supply supplemental heat. Keep space heaters at least 3 ft. away from any combustible materials such as bedding, clothing, draperies, furniture, and rugs. Don't use in rooms where children are unsupervised and remember to turn off and unplug when not in use.
  • Halogen floor lamps operate at much higher temperatures than a standard incandescent light bulb. Never place a halogen floor lamp where it could come in contact with draperies, clothing or other combustible materials. Be sure to turn the lamp off whenever you leave the room for an extended period of time and never use torchiere lamps in children's bedrooms or playrooms.
  • During an electrical storm, do not use appliances (i.e. hairdryers, toasters, and radios) or telephones (except in an emergency); do not take a bath or shower; keep batteries on hand for flashlights and radios in case of a power outage: and use surge protectors on electronic devices and appliances.

Find It Here

Give the Gift of Time

Freebies

Online Calculating

 

1-888-762-5326 Need Help?  | 
Privacy Statement
Copyright © 1998-2013 The ServiceMaster Company. All rights reserved

Terminix®     Merry Maids®    TruGreen®    ServiceMaster Clean®
American Home Shield®     ServiceMaster Restore®     Furniture Medic®    AmeriSpec®

Brand names are registered trademarks of The ServiceMaster Company and its affiliates.

Inside. Outside. All around the House. ®