- Keep knives, plastics bags, lighters and matches locked away from children.
- Avoid fires and burns by never leaving cooking food unattended, turning pot handles to the back of the stove, and keeping hot liquids and foods away from the edges of tables and counters.
- Make sure you and your children know the STOP, DROP, and ROLL procedure in case their clothes catch on fire.
- Keep appliances cords unplugged and tied up. Replace any frayed cords and wires.
- Securely strap young children in high chairs, swings, and other juvenile products.
- If an appliance repeatedly blows a fuse, trips a circuit breaker, or if it has given you a shock, unplug it and have it repaired or replaced.
- All electrical appliances and tools should have a testing agency label.
- Do not give young children hard, round foods that can get stuck in their throats - like hard candies, nuts, grapes, popcorn, carrots, and raisins.
- Avoid scald burns by keeping children away from the hot water taps on drinking water coolers.
- Have appliances repaired if they aren't working right.
- Don't overload the outlets.
- Water and electricity combined cause shock. Have dry hands; don't stand in water. If an appliance gets wet, have it serviced.
- Don't store things over the stove. People get burned reaching. Turn pot handles so children can't pull them down. Wear tight sleeves when you cook. Loose-fitting garments can catch fire.